Police say woman barricaded in house

By David Irvin: Freedom Newspapers

Local and state police officers spent the most of Thursday in a standoff with an armed female subject at a residence on Llano Estacado.
According to sheriff’s officials, deputies encountered an armed female subject about 1 p.m. at a residence near the Restaurant at Fox Run at 2225 W. Llano Estacado Blvd. while responding to a security alarm. According to Sheriff Roger Hatcher, she discharged three to four rounds in the direction of officers. No one was injured.
The Clovis SWAT team was called in to assist, and negotiations began with the woman, lasting throughout the day and into the evening.
“We don’t believe she is local, but she does have relatives here,” Hatcher said.
Will Cockrell, who owns and lives at the residence, said an unknown woman showed up at 7 p.m. Tuesday at his home.
“This gal was saying this is my property, you have no business here,” he said. Cockrell told the woman he didn’t want any trouble with her, but if she didn’t leave he would call the police, he said.
He said by a sheriff’s deputy came to his house, but the woman had left by that time, he said.
Cockrell said based on her voice he believes it is the same woman who barricaded herself in the home.
Cockrell said when the security company called him Thursday informing him of a break-in he believed it was a false alarm.
“I went out there and the police were already there,” he said.
Police blocked off all roads to the residence starting in the early afternoon, making it impossible for anyone to get closer than 1/4 mile from the house. Cockrell said he went to stay with his son.
“My first reaction was, that there has been a mistake,” Cockrell said. “Secondly, I was a little perturbed, because I felt she shouldn’t have had a second chance at me.”
The New Mexico State called in its tactical team about 8 p.m. after hours of negotiations showed no progress, officials said.
“They’ve had some individuals talking to her, trying to coax her out of the residence,” said State Police Capt. Oscar Gonzales.
No further information was available at press time.