• Kite Karnival, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. today, Doc Stewart Park
View a colorful display of kites. Events include demonstrations, displays, paintball, food, beverages and rides. Admission is free.
• Santa Fe Opera Performers, Saturday, Town Hall, Clovis Community College
Joyous music, heart-wrenching melodies and show-stopping arias as the Santa Fe Opera performers return to Town Hall on their spring tour. Free admission
• Prairiedoggapalooza, April 22, Clovis Community College
Visit CCC for a full day of food and festivities. Activities include a 5K run/walk, air games, flea market and performances by live bands throughout the day. Information: 769-4742.
• Joe’s Boot Shop Calf Roping, April 28-30, Curry County Mounted Patrol Arena.
Calf ropers from across the nation will compete for $150,000 in cash and prizes.
• Cinco de Mayo, Saturday, American Legion Post 25
General admission $10, senior/Military/student $10
Mexican songstress Perla Batalla back by popular demand performing with Zumbale. Also includes dinner, piñatas for the children and prizes.
• Air Expo 2006, May 27, Cannon Air Force Base.
This year the air show features the Air Force Thunderbirds Demonstration team and showcases military and civilian aircraft from around the country. Open to the public.
• Billy the Kid Tombstone Race, June 11, Fort Sumner High School football field
Compete in an obstacle course as part of Fort Sumner’s Old Fort Days.
• Self-guided archeological tour, Blackwater Draw Site
Hike a primitive tree-lined trail on a one- to two hour-tour through an archeological dig site. Admission is free on the fourth Sunday of each month.
• Dinosaur tracks, Clayton Lake State Park, weekends
View the largest collection of dinosaur tracks in the world located 12 miles north of Clayton. Campsites, cabins, drinking water and showers are available.
• Palo Duro Canyon State Park, Canyon, Texas
The park contains 18,438 acres of the scenic, northern most portion of the Palo Duro Canyon. The canyon is 120 miles long, as much as 20 miles wide, and has a maximum depth of more than 800 feet. Its elevation at the rim is 3,500 feet above sea level.