By Karl Terry: PNT Managing Editor
Portales police are investigating the death of a 6-year-old Portales boy. Emergency personnel found him unresponsive and not breathing about 10 a.m. Thursday in a bedroom of his home at 727 N. Ave. M.
Portales Police Capt. Lonnie Berry said there was no apparent medical history to explain the death of Lorenzo A. Cabral Jr. and no outward signs of the cause. Those facts, coupled with the victim’s age, are the reasons Berry said police are looking at the incident closely.
“It’s under investigation as suspicious in nature,” Berry said.
Berry said the child was unresponsive and not breathing when emergency personnel found him and transported him to Roosevelt General Hospital. Lorenzo was pronounced dead at RGH, Berry said.
Berry said no arrests had been made in connection with the death late Thursday.
“We’re going to stay on this for a while (Thursday night),” Berry said. “This is a serious enough offense that we’re going to try and come to some resolution tonight. I think people will expect that and I’m going to expect that.”
The victim was the son of Lorenzo Cabral Sr. and Teresa Gilman, both of Portales. He was a student at Steiner Elementary School in Portales, Berry said.
By mid-afternoon, police had cordoned off the street in front of the mobile home located at the corner of North Avenue M and Gum Street. By nightfall, the Portales Police Department’s mobile command trailer was parked in the street inside police tape and District Attorney Matt Chandler was at the scene.
According to Berry, an investigator with Portales police has traveled to Albuquerque with the body and will be present for an autopsy.
Berry said that as a matter of routine in serious investigations search warrants had been obtained before starting the investigation. He said the second of those was just being initiated around 9 p.m. Thursday.