Jan. 10, 1960

When Miss Maria Friesen encountered an emergency at her apartment Saturday, she couldn’t use her telephone because it was tied up by another customer on the party line.
Miss Friesen, associate professor in home economics at ENMU, struck a match to light a gas heater. The wall cutoff dropped out and the gas was escaping into the room. The lighted match set a blazing jet of fire from the broken outlet.
Miss Friesen ran to the telephone, but found it in use. She ran outside to find help and finally got a neighbor to call the fire department.
The firemen responded quickly and had the fire out within five minutes, with but minor damage. They notified the telephone company about the trouble and in a short while the repairmen traced the trouble to a phone on the same line with Miss Friesen that had been left off the hook.