PNT Staff Report
Past Portales Municipal School Board members will be honored with a new plaque displayed in the board room.
Michael Terry, principal at James Elementary, updated the board on the progress for the updated board member wall at Monday’s board meeting.
Terry showed off the new plaque, created by Clyde Powell, which shows each board member and their years of service going back to 1915.
Terry explained in an earlier board meeting the administration wanted to improve the wall honoring board members. He said only some of the photos of past members were available, making the display incomplete. The new idea was to include all former board members on a wall plaque and display current board members photos nearby.
“We do realize how much time it takes (to serve on the board) and we appreciate it,” Terry told the members.
Terry and administration secretary Julie Miller made up the committee working on the project. Miller reported their research revealed current board member Mary Lou Rowley had served as long as any member in the district’s history — 17 years.
In other business the board:
• accepted the donation of a washer and dryer from Valley Furniture for Brown Early Childhood Center.
• approved a legal services retainer agreement with Walsh, Anderson, Brown, Schulze & Aldridge of Albuquerque for supplementary legal services.
• approved the 2007-2008 school calendar.
• approved several routine budget adjustments.
• approved a bid for electrical services by Combs Electric.
• approved a bid for a fire alarm system by Protection 1.
• changed its next regular board meeting date from April 9 to April 16.