In their regular meeting Tuesday, Portales City Councilors:
• Issued a proclamation for the city’s Cinco de Mayo celebration.
• Approved a resolution closing out a Community Development Block Grant project for Geographic Information Service technology.
• Approved a resolution authorizing the mayor to execute a grant agreement for projects funded in the 2007 Legislature. Those funds include $100,000 for the second phase of swimming pool improvements and $50,000 for improvements at the city’s sports complex.
• Approved a notice of intent to adopt an ordinance revising nuisance codes in the city. The proposed codes would allow for faster abatement of nuisance properties with problems like weeds or abandoned appliances. It also allows for fees and fines to be included on city utility bills and would authorize a $200 administrative fee and interest on unpaid fines and fees to be charged.
• Approved a special use permit for a self storage facility to be constructed at 1417 S. Ave. D.
• Approved a special use permit for church services to be held at 605 W. 18th St.
• Directed city staff to further explore financing options for city streets.
• Approved a permit for industrial municipal waste submitted by Abengoa Bioenergy.
• Heard a presentation of a preliminary engineering report on the city’s wastewater treatment plant.