By Mickey Winfield, PNT Staff Writer While children were running house-to-house on Halloween night trick-or-treating, the Dora Coyotes and Melrose Buffaloes were battling game-to-game in the District 3-1A volleyball quarterfinals. After losing two of the first three games at home, Melrose won the fourth game and jumped out to a 9-0 lead in the tie-breaking […]
• Col. Thomas G Runge, Commander 27th Operating Group at Cannon Air Force Base, was the guest speaker at the 75th Veteran’s Day celebration, sponsored by American Legion Post #31 and the American Legion Auxiliary. • Texas native Daniel H Carmines IV was named the new circulation manager for the Portales News Tribune, replacing Lee Watson, […]
• Though nothing was official the Portales News Tribune announced that Eastern New Mexico University officials were expecting head football coach Howard Stearns to turn in a letter of resignation. • Malice and Demolition Man were the featured movies showing at the Tower Twin. • A steak sandwich and an order of onion rings were […]
• Adrianna Acosta was selected as the winner of the 11th annual “Cutest Baby” contest. • For $34.95, a customer could purchase a complete Thanksgiving dinner from IGA. • Ransom, Larger Than Life, and D3 The Mighty Ducks, were playing at the Tower Twin.
• Portales mayor D.K. Shafer proclaimed the day to be “Nurse Appreciation Day” in Portales. • Members of the Elida Future Farmers of America chapter attended the Chapter Officer Leadership Training that was held at the Curry County Fairgrounds. • McDonalds offered six value meals for the price of $2.99 each, a Green Chili Cheeseburger […]
• Arla Hitson was elected to the position of Roosevelt County Treasurer. She was the first Republican to hold the office since before the Great Depression. • Pizza Hut advertised there All You Can Eat lunch buffet for $4.29. • A 1993 two-toned blue-green and gray Ford Explorer was stolen from the parking lot of IGA […]
• Eastern New Mexico University was featured in a publication of “New Mexico, Americas Land of Enchantment” that was recently published by the New Mexico Department of Economic Development. • J.R. Moses of Portales had a poem titled “Daddy” published in “Distinguished Poets of America”. • Poyner’s Home and Auto advertised a Eureka Bravo! SureValu upright vacuum […]
• The Dora Lady Coyotes won the District 6A volleyball title over the Texico Wolverines. • Dairy Queen advertised a four piece steak dinner basket for $1.99 and a four piece chicken fillet dinner for $2.99. • Teague-Strebeck advertised 31 1993 Ford Tempos for $179 down and $179 per month.
By Karl Terry: PNT Managing Editor The cost of heating your home will likely rise this year. But unless you’re using propane, eastern New Mexico residents may avoid the huge increases predicted in some parts of the country. According to PNM officials, the cost of natural gas is likely to be close to the same […]
By Casey Peacock: PNT Staff Writer A recent break-in that occurred in the Campus Union Building on the Eastern New Mexico University campus has marred the upcoming Miss Native ENMU pageant scheduled for mid-November. “It was devastating,” said Diana Cordova, director of Multi-cultural Affairs at ENMU. During the Peanut Valley Festival, the crown was one […]