PNT Staff Report
In addition to the contested County Commission District 2 race, the only other contested race in Roosevelt County is for probate judge.
Democrat Mark Paternoster, 61, District Court bailiff, will face one of three Republicans in the general election. Paternoster also has worked at a local title company and at the County Assessor’s office.
Republican candidates for probate judge in the primary election include:
• Barbara George, 67, Teen Court coordinator. She is a retired teacher and was appointed alternate judge for Municipal Court.
• Mitchell “Mickey” Morgan, 56, consultant to KENW TV. He owned his own lighting and sound business before choosing semi-retirement. He has provided sound services for the Roosevelt County Fair for 31 years.
• Laverne Standifer, 63, retired from the USDA Farm Service Agency.
Other county offices up for election and candidates for those offices include:
• District 1 County Commissioner. Incumbent Jake Lopez, a Democrat, is unopposed.
• County Clerk. Incumbent Janet Collins, a Democrat, is unopposed.
• Treasurer. Mickey Williams, a Republican, is unopposed. She currently serves as deputy treasurer.