Information on power sorting in scrapbooking, coping with communication apprehension and making spectacular stitches will be the featured topics on “Creative Living” at noon Tuesday and at 2 p.m. Saturday.
Creative Memories independent consultant Debbie Sorensen from Carlsbad will explain how to power sort when scrapbooking. She suggests organizing items in one place, choose a theme (if desired), sort as to event, and most important of all, commit to doing the task at hand.
Robert Vartabedian says that the almost inevitable fear associated with public speaking is sometimes known as communication apprehension.
As a former actor and speech instructor, he’ll talk about ways to cope with this apprehension. Vartabedian is president of a college in St. Joseph, Mo., and formerly with Eastern New Mexico University in Portales.
Sewing expert Vivian Lavinskas, manager of consumer affairs for Singer Sewing Co., will explain that today’s sewing machines have so many built-in stitches that most consumers don’t know how to use them. She will to show how to make spectacular stitches while creating some beautiful projects for the home and for gift giving. She’s from Lavergne, Tenn.
Information on Japanese tailoring techniques and making a bulletin board will be the featured topics at 9:30 p.m. Tuesday and at noon Thursday.
Sewing expert Judy Barlup will demonstrate how to make perfectly mitered welt pockets using a Japanese method of tailoring to eliminate much of the bulk. Her company is Unique Techniques, and she’s from Bellevue, Wash.
According to furniture refinishing expert and Minwax representative Bruce Johnson, every household needs to stay organized, and it helps to have a bulletin board on hand. Johnson will show how to create a bulletin board that will match the rest of the room. Minwax is located in Upper Saddle River, N.J.
Problems associated with apprehension
• Pre-speech anxiety (loss of sleep, appetite, etc.)
• Various physical manifestations while speaking (dry mouth, heightened sense of self-consciousness, increased heart rate, perspiration, shaking, shortness of breath, sweaty palms, vocalization problems, etc.)
• Loss of eye contact
• Memory lapse
• A well-chosen topic
• Ample preparation/rehearsal
• Use visual aids (charts, graphs, handouts) to divert audience attention, if necessary
• Dress comfortably
• Involvement with speech to the point of losing a sense of self-consciousness
• Control anxiety physically (deep breathing, pre-speech exercises)
• Control anxiety mentally (know that you are the expert, etc.)
• Have a “final dress rehearsal”
“Creative Living” is produced and hosted by Sheryl Borden. The show is carried by more than 118 PBS stations in the United States, Canada, Guam and Puerto Rico and is distributed by Westlink of Albuquerque.