Fire destroys mobile home

Freedom New Mexico

A fire caused heavy damage to a double-wide mobile home in Roosevelt County on Sunday night.

Portales Fire Department Fire Investigator Mike Inge said the fire started around the central gas heater, but the reason hadn’t been determined.

Firefighters finished putting out hot spots such as smoldering insulation around noon Monday, he said.

Battalion Chief Lance Hill said the fire started around 9:30 p.m. Sunday.

Inge said the house was at Desert Star Dairy, 12-15 miles from Portales, and the owner tried to put out the fire but couldn’t. He said the mobile home was no longer livable, but the occupants were already moving into another house.