During the Portales City Council meeting Tuesday at City Hall, councilors:
• Acknowledged the service of outgoing Councilors Robert De Los Santos and Shawn Watson and outgoing Mayor Orlando Ortega Jr.
• Heard a proclamation from Ortega naming March 13 as “Great American Clean Up Day.” The local cleanup is scheduled to begin at 9 a.m. March 13 at the Memorial Building, and is open to the public.
• Approved the Recreation Advisory Board Strategic Plan. The plan prioritizes getting a teen center, adults sports programming, youth baseball, a partnership with Eastern New Mexico University, practice fields and a camera system at the Recreation Center.
• Passed a resolution allowing the submission of a grant application for money for Portales Municipal Airport.
• Approved a Special Use Permit to allow package liquor sales at the Stripes convenience store at the corner of Avenue D and 18th Street. Planning Director Sammy Standefer said store representatives must return to city government for a liquor license after receiving the permit. The area is already zoned for liquor sales, and the license would be transferred in from out of town, he said.