Office store originally printing plant

By Don McAlavy: FNM columnist

L ester Wallace Oswald started work at the Clovis Printing Plant at 313 Main in 1932. (I worked for Wallace Oswald at the print shop from around 1947 for 40 or more years.)

Oswald was born Oct. 18, 1902, in Delaware, Ohio. Mildred Ufferman was born in the same city on Sept. 14, 1905. The two were married on Oct. 10, 1926. Two daughters, Mildred Barbara and Jean Elizabeth, were born to them in Delaware, Ohio.

Because of Wallace’s health, and needing a drier climate, the Oswalds left Ohio and arrived in Clovis on Oct. 15, 1929. Wallace, with a degree in bookkeeping from Ohio Wesleyan University at Delaware, found work with the Bayes Motor Co. (A Ford dealer) in Farwell, Texas, as a book keeper. Their daughter, Jo Anne, was born in April 25, 1930, in Clovis.

After several job changes, Wallace started work at the Clovis Printing Plant in 1932. A. W. “Pete” Anderson was manager of the shop at that time and they printed the Curry County Times, a weekly newspaper.

Office supplies were gradually added to the stock.

About 1935, Ed Mason became owner of the printing plant. A close relationship developed between Mr. Manson and Wallace and later he became a partner with him and his wife’s sister, Eula Mattingly. “Plant” was dropped from the title, becoming Clovis Printing Company.

Along about 1951 Mr. Manson sold his interest to Carl Bledsoe. Jack Siddens and Jason Hicks purchased the printing department of the business around 1955-56 and moved it to 117 West Grand. The name changed to Clovis Office Equipment Company as the plant shop retained the Clovis Printing Company name.

In 1964, more space was needed for expanding office supply business so it was moved to 509 Main.

In 1966, Wallace sold his interest to Carl Bledsoe and Jim Brown. On April 1, 1971, Marvin Floyd Holland, from Plainview, Texas, purchased the business from Carl and Emily Bledsoe and soon afterwards moved to new quarters at 601 Pile.

After selling out in 1966, Wallace and Mildred moved to Ruidoso. Wallace passed away on Oct. 8, 1968 and Mildred moved back to Clovis.

Wallace had been an active member of the Presbyterian Church, as is Mildred. The children grew up and married. Mildred Barbara married R. H. Brown and they moved to Illinois and had three sons and two daughters. Jo Anne married Chet Abrams and they lived in Washington one son, one daughter, and one granddaughter.