Aug. 10, 1960: Four junior boys from Calvary Baptist Church had left for Royal Ambassadors Camp. One feature of the camp was an overnight hike.
Aug. 9, 1945: A franchise to operate a city bus line in Portales had been granted to Lt. W.G. Howell and his sister, Mary Loch. Plans were under way to start operation as soon as permits were granted.
Aug. 7, 1945: The Army announced that confirmed casualties of the Korean War through Aug. 6 totaled 2,616. A spokesman said 153 were killed, 1,590 were wounded in action and 873 were missing.
Aug. 6, 1960: City police made 852 contacts during July, according to a monthly activity report released by the department.
Aug. 5, 1955: The Portales Lions Club formally issued a challenge to the Portales Rotary Club to face them in a battle of wits and skill on the softball field.
Aug. 4, 1950: Final plans for the new Portales Hotel were in the hands of the Lambie Construction Co. Orders were being rushed for all materials needed to complete the structure, the Portales Daily News reported.
Aug. 3, 1950: Employees at the new Lilac Park Drive Inn Caf
Aug. 2, 1960: First rounds in a partnership, low-ball, low-total golf tournament were to be played off in both first flight and championship flight. Don Crockett, city champion, set the 18-hole qualifying pace the previous weekend with a 1-under-par 71 for medalist honors.
Aug. 1, 1955: Five New Mexico cities, including Portales, were to be honored for their 1954 traffic safety records. Plaques were given cities that had no vehicle fatalities in the city limits.