Police blotter —

Samplings of recent calls to Portales law enforcement, according to police records:


• An officer responded to a larceny complaint about 5:05 p.m. in the 1100 block of East Third Street.

A 41-year-old man said sometime between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. that day, someone took the passenger-side hubcaps from his gray GMC Yukon while it was parked in his driveway. He estimated the hubcaps’ value at $100.

The man said he heard suspicious noises about 2 p.m., but saw nothing when he looked out the front window.

The officer found no evidence or suspects. The case is inactive pending further information.


• About 11:05 p.m., an officer went to Roosevelt General Hospital in reference to a stabbing victim.

The 48-year-old man with a stab wound to his side said he didn’t want to give any information or press charges. He said his 52-year-old girlfriend had taken him to the hospital and she could tell the police what happened if she wanted.

The man said the stabbing happened at Golden Acres and he didn’t want to get the old man in trouble. When the officer asked why the stabbing happened, he said he was going to the refrigerator to get a beer.

The man was airlifted to Lubbock.

Two officers went to the girlfriend’s home in the 700 block of East Brazos Street. The woman said she was at a 74-year-old man’s house in the 700 block of Wylie Cox Circle and had been drinking with him when her boyfriend showed up.

She said her boyfriend became angry when she didn’t want to go home. He called her a vulgar name, which upset the 74-year-old man.

The woman said she left and got into her vehicle. Her boyfriend came out later, bleeding, and she took him to the hospital before going home.

Three officers went to the 74-year-old man’s home. When they entered the residence, they found blood in the door way and living room and the man lying on the floor next to a motorized wheelchair.

Emergency medical personnel came to the scene to check the man, but he refused treatment. He appeared intoxicated and couldn’t confirm that any incident happened.

The man said he was with the woman, one of two housekeepers who take care of him, earlier and they’d picked up her boyfriend in Clovis.

While the officer was speaking to him, she noticed a small pool of blood under the couch. When she looked under the couch, she found bloody paw prints and a dead puppy.

Detectives came to the scene, and a search warrant was executed. The 74-year-old denied knowledge of the stabbing and the dead dog.

A detective saw a small knife with blood on it in the living room.

The following day, the woman told police she’d stayed in the car after returning from Clovis to pick up her boyfriend. Her boyfriend helped the 74-year-old man back into the house and returned with a stab wound, she said.

The woman said she thought the stabbing occurred because the older man was angry that her boyfriend called her a vulgar name. She said she didn’t know why the older man would kill her dog.

The investigation was continuing.


• An officer responded to a report of possible child abuse about 9:50 p.m. in the 1100 block of Aquarius Drive.

A 33-year-old woman said she had taken her 3-month-old foster daughter to visit her four siblings in the 1500 block of West 17th Street about 3 p.m. The siblings ranged in age from 2 to 5 and were living with foster parents.

After picking up the baby from the visit, the foster mother noticed scratches on her legs and arms, pinch marks on her chest and bruising near her left eye. The woman took the baby to the hospital and contacted the state Children, Youth and Families Department.

The doctor set up an appointment for a forensic examination, but CYFD personnel canceled it, the woman said.

The 33-year-old woman said the baby’s biological mother had just been sentenced for child abuse, and authorities had discovered the siblings had been taught to abuse the babies in the family. She said the case worker who was supposed to be monitoring the visit admitted to leaving the children unsupervised for a few minutes while she went to get a soda.