Due to extremely dry conditions in our area, we are asking everyone in Portales to be extra careful this Fourth of July by acting responsible and increasing your awareness while using fireworks.
The State of New Mexico has imposed fireworks restrictions which prohibit all fireworks in all non-municipal wild land areas within the county. Aerial fireworks are also prohibited in the city, except those that produce a shower of sparks.
Here are a few tips on having a safe and fun July 4th:
• Observe all fireworks laws.
• Always have a responsible adult in charge.
• Wet your yard down and place used fireworks in water.
• Have a water source available.
• Make sure your surroundings won’t ignite.
• If you suspect a fire call 911 immediately.
Don’t ruin your holiday due to injuries, fires or illegal acts. Know the laws and be safe. And remember you may be held responsible for what you damage.
For more information on fireworks restrictions and ordinances, call the Portales Fire Department at 356-4406.
Thank you all for making this a fun and safe holiday for everyone.