The shooting of a Portales man Friday in the parking lot of a motel on Mabry Drive was “supposedly” over a stolen stereo system, according to a Clovis police incident report obtained Monday.
Jerry Abeyta, 26, was shot in the chest and arm area, according to the report. He was reported in serious but stable condition Saturday at a Lubbock Hospital.
Police said Abeyta was found in the 1300 block of Axtell Street about half an hour after reports of a shooting at 4:49 p.m. involving persons in two vehicles outside a motel on Mabry Drive.
Police said Abeyta was the driver of one of the vehicles that sped away from the motel.
According to the incident report:
• A witness told police she heard three to four shots and observed two vehicles parked side-by-side at the location.
• Six shell casings were found in the parking lot at 1620 Mabry Drive.
• A red Mercury Cougar was located in a driveway in the 1300 block of Axtell, matching the description given by the witness.
• There were five bullet holes in the driver’s side — one in the window and four in the vehicle’s body.
• Three other occupants were in the vehicle at the time of the shooting, including a child.
• The shooting was “supposedly over a vehicle stereo system that was stolen by one of the subjects in the vehicle Abyeta was driving.
• Police located and searched the other vehicle reported in the incident. No weapons were located in the vehicle and the stereo appeared to be missing.