The Portales City Council met Tuesday and took the following action:
- Made changes to the June 19 meeting minutes.
- Heard an update on U.S. 70 construction from construction project officials.
- Changed a future scheduled meeting date from Jan. 1, 2013 to Jan. 3.
- Authorized Mayor Sharon King to execute juvenile adjudication fund grant.
The grant in the amount of $12,500 comes from the Department of Finance and Administration to advance the Teen Court Program. The city's in-kind match is $8,700.
- Approved an award of contract for professional service for juvenile adjudication activities DWI program and administration.
The DWI Teen Court Program activities have been extended through the summer months of July and August and June of 2013.
- Approved the renewal of a joint use agreement with the Portales Municipal School District for use of Lindsey-Steiner Elementary School.
- Heard an update about the Portales Police Department from police chief Jeff Gill.
Gill told councilors he has hired two new staff members at the department. He also discussed policy change with the councilors.
- Authorized the mayor to sign a cooperative agreement with the New Mexico Department of Transportation for local government road funds.
The city applied for a cooperative project with the NMDOT for street rehabilitation and maintenance. The city was awarded $57,342 for the Department's share of 75 percent. The 25 percent city match was $19,114.
— Compiled by PNT senior writer Christina Calloway