LUBBOCK — Sophomore Kris-Ann Walter and the 1,600 relay team set Eastern New Mexico University school records in Thursday's Texas Tech Open track meet.
Walter, a transfer from Adams State by way of Jamaica, brook the school mark in long jump by nearly a foot, going 19-6 to finish third. Her jump would have been an NCAA Division II national qualifying mark except it was wind-aided.
In the relay, junior Alesha Jones, sophomore Sabrina Huelga and freshmen Amber Saiz and Danielle Caro ran a time of 3 minutes, 58.52 seconds, good for fourth place overall.
Jones (2:13.97), Saiz (2:15.40) and Huelga (2:15.80) went 3-4-6 in the 800. It was Jones' third-fastest time.
For the men, sophomore Trevor Merhege competed in steeplechase for the first time and was second in 10:08.58.
Other top-six placers for the men:
- Chazz Mathes, fourth in javelin at 162-6;
- Michael Moore, fifth in high jump at 6-5;
- Matt Dominguez, sixth in the 800 in 1:56.85.
Other top-six placers for the women:
- Leigh Ann Omarkhail was third in the 3,000 steeplechase in 12:30.44;
- Laura Grube placed fourth in javelin at 125-9;
- Breanna Pendleton was fifth in hammer at 142-10.
The Greyhounds and Zias travel to Canyon for the LSC championships next weekend, hosted by West Texas A&M.