The following was took place at the Portales Municipal Schools Board of Education's special meeting Monday night:
- Federal Program Director Henry Montano gave a report.
Montano said federal grants will be cut 5.3 percent or $75,000 for the 2013-2014 school year.
- The board accepted a donation of a high school diploma, varsity letter and a letterman sweater from the family of former Portales High School student Dolphus Lee Johnston.
Johnston graduated from PHS in 1942.
- The board approved out-of-state travel for the PHS football team to travel to Friona on July 23 for a seven-on-seven tournaments.
- The board approved purchase two activity buses, one new and one used, for the school district for $230,000.
- The board had a public hearing and approved the tentative operational budget for the 2013-2014 school year.
— Compiled by PNT senior writer Christina Calloway