By Christina Calloway
PNT senior writer
The grand finale of tonight’s fireworks show is dedicated to the men and women serving at Cannon Air Force Base, says Roosevelt County Chamber of Commerce Director Karl Terry.
The chamber and area churches organized a Fourth of July celebration filled with music and activities, but they want to make sure the emphasis remains on the reason people are celebrating the holiday.
“We were told to take care of our people, (servicemen and women) spend a lot of time away from their families so we want them to feel like their home,” Terry said. “They’re the reason we have the freedoms that we’re celebrating.”
Terry said the Cannon Color Guard will post the colors prior to the fireworks display which starts at 9 p.m., at the Eastern New Mexico University soccer field.
The show will also be choreographed to sync up to a soundtrack that will be played on 105.9 KSEL, Terry says, so that people who plan to view the show from their home can listen to the music that goes with it.
As far as live music, the alternative rock band Engine Room will kick off the celebration at 6 p.m. on the main stage. Country musician Will Banister is also scheduled to perform.
- Engine Room concert will open the celebration.
- Vendors, games will open.
- First giveaway drawing.
- Second giveaway drawing.
- Third giveaway drawing.
- Will Banister concert begins.
- Fourth giveaway drawing.
- Fifth giveaway drawing.
- Vendors and games close.
- Military family prize drawings.
- Presentation of the colors by Cannon Color Guard.
- Pledge of Allegiance and the National Anthem sung by Will Banister.
- Prayer for the nation.
- Fireworks display.
What to bring and what not to bring:
- Cash for vendors but all other activities are free
- No alcohol is permitted on ENMU’s campus
Here are a list of activities that will be available at the event:
- Petting zoo
- An obstacle course
- Bounce houses
- Putt-putt golf
- Prize drawings for the public and military families
- Food and gift vendors.
- The general public will be able to park in the Greyhound Arena parking lot. Parking will also be available west of the soccer field.
- No parking will be allowed on University Drive.
- Handicap and vendor parking will be available south of ENMU’s track.