The State Legislative Water and Natural Resources Committee and the Drought Subcommittee will meet Wednesday through Friday at the Clovis Civic Center to discuss the following:
Wednesday (noon 12-5 p.m.)
- Meteorologist Chuck Jones will present a drought update that includes a historical perspective on the drought as well as a short and long term outlook.
- Planning for the projected impacts of drought and effects of climate change.
- Legislation addressing drought management from the 2000s
- Update on the Pecos River priority call. A Pecos River priority call would cut off groundwater users in the Roswell-Artesia areas to protect farmers’ water rights in the Carlsbad district.
Thursday (9 a.m.-5 p.m.)
Use of recoverable water
Eastern New Mexico rural water supply project
Right to farm legislation will be discussed. Right-to-farm laws protect agricultural entities from lawsuits stemming from agricultural nuisances such as odor and noise.
Friday (noon-5 p.m.)
- Thermal energy from forest biomass and renewable energy portfolio standards
- Federal state and local cooperation in forest watershed and fire management
— Compiled by CMI staff writer Kevin Baird