Clovis man sentenced for deadly crime spree

By Robin Fornoff


Jimmy Reagan was sentenced to life plus 100 years and six months in prison Tuesday. He pleaded guilty to the murder of Shondel Lofton and multiple other felony crimes in an hours-long June 2012 crime spree Judge Stephen Quinn said amounted to terrorism in Clovis.

Reagan, 32, pleaded guilty to 33 charges in all, including murder, rape and kidnapping, rather than face trial.

Quinn’s sentencing came after an hour-long emotional hearing featuring a parade of victims recounting the crimes.

Reagan, dressed in a yellow prison-issue jump suit, never looked in the direction of victims as they spoke. About 30 of the victims’ family members packed into Quinn’s small courtroom.

“I want you to know who my brother is,” Janelle Lofton sobbed.

“He’s the kindest person that you could ever pray to meet,” she said. “He would have went cold to give you the clothes off his back to keep you warm. All you had to do was ask.”

Instead, according to District Attorney Matt Chandler, Reagan broke into Lofton’s home in northwest Clovis after repeatedly sexually assaulting his girlfriend outside at gunpoint, then shot the unsuspecting Lofton, 35, in the head as he played video games.

Reagan fled the house with Lofton’s Playstation and wallet and commandeered a van at gunpoint with two women inside, Chandler said. For three hours he threatened to rape and kill them both, according to Chandler.

Chandler said the bizarre spree included stops at two different homes with Reagan trying unsuccessfully to coerce his way in by holding a handgun to the head of one of his hostages, threatening to kill her.

No one answered the door at the first house. At the second home, owner Jeff Pruitt fired at Reagan through the bottom of the front door, enabling a state police officer to capture Reagan in the confusion by hitting him with a shotgun and wrestling him to the ground.

Chandler said Reagan later head-butted a Curry County Sheriff’s deputy, who had taken him to Plains Regional Medical Center for treatment of a cut sustained when he smashed a window at the Pruitt home.

Mary Campos, one of Reagan’s hostages during the deadly spree, recalled her three hours of terror for Quinn.

“He kept putting a big silver gun to my head over and over,” she told Quinn. “The gun was constantly at my forehead.

“I knew we were going to die,” Campos said. “That’s what he (Reagan) wanted. He wanted the police to start shooting at the van.”

Campos said Reagan kept saying they were going to party and die in a gun battle with police.

“I haven’t been the same,” Campos said. “I can’t eat. I can’t sleep at night. There’s times at night all I can see is his face again.”

Before sentencing, Quinn called Reagan’s admitted crimes “horrific acts.” In his 25 years on the bench, Quinn said, “I have never heard anything like this. This is like terrorism on the west side of town and it’s hard to imagine all these crimes bundled up in one series of events.”

Chandler asked Quinn to add the 100 years and six months to Reagan’s life sentence to send a message to future parole boards. The purpose would be to ensure “his dying breath…will be in the confines of a prison cell,” Chandler said.

Quinn concurred moments later, noting, “He’s a danger to society.”

Reagan spoke only during a long grilling by Quinn regarding whether he understood he was giving up his right to a trial.

“Yes sir,” Reagan said. “I understand the situation.”

Reagan’s attorney Anna Aragon said, “There’s almost nothing I can say here today,” adding Reagan asked her to apologize to everyone affected. “He will end his life in prison.”

Victims including Lofton’s family lingered in the courtroom consoling one another after Reagan was taken away in chains. Campos hugged state police Officer Robert Soule, one of the men who captured Reagan and saved her life.

“I can’t be angry,” Lofton’s mother, Detra Lofton, told Chandler. “It just hurts.”

Speak Your Mind