Letters to the editor should be on topics of public interest and no more than 300 words. Private disputes are not acceptable in our letters.
A few other guidelines:
• Letters must be original, previously unpublished and written by the person whose name appears with the letter. The writer’s name must be included with the letter, along with the writer’s city or county of residence. A daytime phone number must be submitted to aid with verification only; the phone number will not be published.
• Writers must have a direct connection to our circulation area — resident, former resident, recent visitor, etc.
• Letters are fact-checked and edited for style, clarity, community taste and potential for libel. We communicate with the writer prior to publication when editing is significant.
• Thank-you letters will be considered if less than 150 words and of general interest as determined by newspaper management. No for-profit business can be named in thank-you letters.
• Writers will be limited to one letter published every 30 days and only one letter per topic per year.
• Letters on behalf of organizations or groups will not be accepted.
• Third-party letters will not be published. Letters should be written to the editor, not to readers or other individuals.
• Guest columns are by invitation only. Suggestions for guest columns may be submitted to the editor.
• Publication dates will be determined by newspaper management. Deadlines will be established for letters during election season. Group endorsement letters will not be accepted; those are ads and you may call 763-3431 and request rates.
• Final decision for publication of any letter rests with management of Clovis Media Inc.
For more information, please contact Editor David Stevens at 575-763-6991. Letters may be emailed to him at: firstname.lastname@example.org