Freedom New Mexico The 27th Special Operations Wing at Cannon Air Force Base will conduct a series of prescribed burns at Melrose Air Force Range April 30 through May 3. The burns are intended to clear vegetation in targeted areas and help reduce the risk of wildfires caused by training or by natural causes such […]
Freedom New Mexico Excessive speed and driver inattention caused a wreck that left 19-year-old Michael Galvan of Portales dead Monday, State Police Capt. Jimmy Glascock said. Police would turn their reports over to the District Attorney’s Office for review and a decision on possible charges, he said. Glascock identified the female passenger injured in the […]
Argen Duncan Crops are growing well in much of Roosevelt and Curry counties, although hail and excessive rain have caused problems in several places. Tom Dannelley of Eastern Plains Insurance Corp. said he’d received about 10 claims for hail damage to crops in Roosevelt County, which is about normal. “There have been some scattered around, […]
By Argen Duncan: PNT senior writer Winds peaking at speeds of around 60 mph caused damage around Portales on Monday morning, but slowed in the afternoon. Brent Wachter, meteorologist at the National Weather Service office in Albuquerque, said winds at Cannon Air Force Base peaked at 59 mph, while the Clovis weather station registered a […]
Freedom New Mexico A stray cigarette in a pile of feed caused Thursday’s fire at Western Star Dairy, Floyd Fire Chief Allen Deen and Assistant Fire Chief Delbert Rector said. Rector believed the cigarette was thrown down out of carelessness. A damage estimate was yet available. Rector said Floyd firefighters remained on scene until 3 […]
Freedom New Mexico An accident investigation board has concluded the failure of an electrical control device caused the crash of an MQ-1 Predator unmanned drone from Cannon Air Force Base last year, according to the Air Force Times. Greg Allen of Cannon Public Affairs said the Predator crashed in Afghanistan in September but he did […]
By Argen Duncan: PNT Senior Writer Inspectors have determined that electrical problems started the fire that consumed Dollar General Store and a hardware warehouse March 27. At Tuesday’s City Council meeting in City Hall, Portales Fire Chief John Bridges said the insurance company inspector and investigator completed the final inspection for a preliminary report that […]
The new year entered in at 2.5 degrees below zero. A three-inch snowfall the day before caused slick streets and several accidents, one in which a man broke his hip.
The Associated Press
PNT Staff Power was out for 36 minutes across Portales on Friday morning. Xcel Energy spokesman Wes Reeves said a piece of equipment that regulates voltage caused the problem. Reeves said 5,301 customers were impacted by the outage.
By Mickey Winfield: PNT Staff Writer Students and faculty returning to Eastern New Mexico University for the spring semester will find a new look to their campus bookstore — and the online system, which took some hits last semester seems to be up-and-running with no hitches. The bookstore renovation began in November, most of the […]
• The Portales Fire Department responded to a house fire on North Avenue K. It was believed the fire was caused by a gas dryer malfunction. The fire gutted the laundry room and caused extensive smoke damage throughout the home. It was estimated that the fire caused $10,000 worth of damage. No one was injured […]
• Vic Stockard and Vernon Gibson were re-elected to serve on the Portales Valley Sweet Potato Association board of directors during the annual grower’s meeting. During the meeting, it was reported that 920 acres of sweet potatoes had been planted in Roosevelt County. • Slater Bros. Home and Auto Supply advertised 3-T Nylon all weather […]
By Casey Peacock: PNT Staff Writer As residents and visitors leave Portales via N.M. 206, N.M. 467 or U.S. 70, they will be seeing some new signs that are common in mountainous areas, but new to the Portales region. The brown and yellow signs show a picture of Smokey Bear with his shovel. An interchangeable […]
Freedom Newspapers Clovis Fire Department firefighters extinguished small fires Friday at a Clovis school and residence that caused no injuries, according to officials. An electrical fire about 11 a.m. at Marshall Junior High School caused by a malfunctioning stove was put out with a fire extinguisher, according to Clovis Fire Department Public Information Officer Karen […]