Chief: Cigarette ignited Dairy fire

Freedom New Mexico A stray cigarette in a pile of feed caused Thursday’s fire at Western Star Dairy, Floyd Fire Chief Allen Deen and Assistant Fire Chief Delbert Rector said. Rector believed the cigarette was thrown down out of carelessness. A damage estimate was yet available. Rector said Floyd firefighters remained on scene until 3 […]

Fire at Western Star Dairy

l20v5v-57dairyfireweb.jpg

High winds and temperatures are hampering firefighters’ efforts to stop a silage fire Thursday at a Roosevelt County dairy. Steven Cain of Portales and Floyd fire departments said feed caught fire at Western Star Dairy, and the blaze spread into a large pile of silage, including the plastic and tires covering it. He said firefighters […]

Fire damages attic

PNT staff A fire caused minimal damage to the attic of an unoccupied house Tuesday, according to Portales Fire Department Battalion Chief Lance Hill. Hill said no one was injured. Traffic was blocked for less than an hour around the 700 block of Second Street. Hill said people working on the house noticed smoke and […]

Fire departments to use grants for water tanks

l11pc4-l11pbo416firedeptweb.jpg

By Argen Duncan: PNT Senior Writer Two Roosevelt County fire departments have received grants allowing them to provide better service while lowering home insurance premiums for residents. Floyd and Arch fire departments learned Monday they were chosen to receive $100,000 each through the state Fire Marshal’s Office Grant Council. The money is earmarked for water […]

Fire departments battle Sunday grassfire

PNT Staff Ten eastern New Mexico fire departments helped fight a grass fire in Curry County on Sunday. Portales, Floyd, Elida, Dora and Arch firefighters and Roosevelt County Road Department personnel worked on a blaze that was caused by a lightning strike and burned about 6,400 acres of sandy range land along North Curry Road […]

Vehicles spark grass fires

Freedom New Mexico Two vehicle fires sparked grass fires on Saturday. The first vehicle fire happened in the 200 block of N.M. 267 northwest of the Portales Livestock Auction house at 10:09 a.m., said Portales Battalion Chief Mike Golden. Golden said the vehicle simultaneously started a small grass fire that burned less than an acre. […]

Portales Past: April 5, 1945

April 5, 1945: Sgt. Joseph W. Copeland of Causey had been awarded a Silver Star for voluntarily subjecting himself to a concentration of German artillery fire, The Portales Daily News reported. Copeland was wounded in the leg, the story reported, during construction of a road block.

Fire damages mobile home

l0429k-331firehouseweb.jpg

PNT Staff Reports A fire has inflicted heavy damage on a double-wide mobile home on Roosevelt Road 6. One occupant received minor injuries. Portales Fire Chief Gary Nuckols said the home, in the Portales Industrial Park area, was a total loss and Red Cross was being called to assist the family. Nuckols said he had […]

Fire consumes 70 acres of range land

Freedom New Mexico An estimated 70 acres of range land burned Tuesday from a fire officials say was touched off by sparks from a cutting torch. The Portales Fire Department was called to the fire in the 400 block of Blackwater Road at 10:29 a.m. Battalion Chief Shannon Lee said workers were using the torch […]

Old trailer lost in fire

Freedom New Mexico A fire burned the remains of an old trailer house Monday night near U.S. 70 across from Greyhound Stadium. Portales Fire Department Battalion Chief Mike Golden said firefighters received the call about the fire around 7 p.m. and finished extinguishing it in about two hours. He said firefighters believe a saw used […]

No injuries in house fire

PNT staff No one was injured in a fire Friday that destroyed a home in the 500 block of South Roosevelt Road V, according to Portales Fire Department Battalion Chief Lance Hill. Hill said the call came in about 8 a.m. He said the house was a total loss and investigators are still trying to […]

No injuries reported in fire

Freedom New Mexico Fire damaged a home on South Roosevelt Road 3 around midnight Monday morning. Portales Fire Department fire investigator Mike Inge said no one was injured. Inge said he is waiting for an insurance investigator to determine the cause and said the fire started in the area of the laundry room.

Fire destroys mobile home

Freedom New Mexico A fire caused heavy damage to a double-wide mobile home in Roosevelt County on Sunday night. Portales Fire Department Fire Investigator Mike Inge said the fire started around the central gas heater, but the reason hadn’t been determined. Firefighters finished putting out hot spots such as smoldering insulation around noon Monday, he […]

Wal-Mart donates truck to fire department

kxta8o-214pfdtruckweb.jpg

By Clarence Plank: PNT staff writer Wal-Mart donated a truck to the Portales Fire Department Friday for hauling a water tanker. The truck is a 2004 Peterbuilt semi and valued at $30,000 by Wal-Mart. Public Affairs and Government Relations Senior Manager Delia Garcia said Interim Fire Chief Gary Nuckols contacted the Wal-Mart Distribution Center in […]

Commission to discuss franchise agreement

Freedom New Mexico Roosevelt County Board of Commissioners will consider a franchise agreement with Southwestern Public Service during their meeting Tuesday. Also the commissioners will hear from department heads and consider a budget adjustment for Milnesand Fire Department.

Portales house fire put out

PNT Staff Reports Portales firefighters extinguished a burning garage on Taos Court in the U.S. Air Force 801 housing area Friday night. Battalion Chief Lance Hill said the occupants of the house were home but able to escape and no one was injured. About 11 p.m., investigators were still trying to determine the cause of […]

Curry County man dies after trying to fight fire

Freedom New Mexico A 79-year-old Curry County man died Monday after trying to extinguish a grass fire on his property. The fire ignited about 3:30 p.m. Charles Petty was pronounced dead at Plains Regional Medical Center after being transported there by ambulance for possible smoke inhalation, Undersheriff Wesley Waller said. “Mr. Petty was attempting to […]

It’s their job: Portales man fulfills dream of helping others

kvr657-15itjcodyweb.jpg

Cody Padgett is a six-year firefighter with the Portales Fire Department. He moved from Lubbock in 1994. Padgett has training in two levels of firefighting and as a hazardous material technician. He is in paramedic school, which will take him a step up from his current intermediate Emergency Medical Technician training. “We’re always going to […]

Jan. 18, 1967

According to the Portales News-Tribune, Fire Chief Newman Carter blamed an over-heated heating stove flue for a $2,000 fire that burned the roof off of one unit of the Miller Apartments at 712 East Braos at about 2:30 p.m. Tuesday afternoon.

Business feature: Video game store provides safe environment for teens

kv4nf2-1224bizfeatechochamberwb.jpg

PNT staff Kayce Whitacre and her son opened a new business that caters to gamers and collectors alike. The Echo Chamber has been operating for a couple months, located in the shadow of the Portales Fire Department. Whitacre’s son, Andy Anderson, and his wife, Samantha, are volunteering to help her. The store offers used video […]