• Gamble’s was advertising a “Johnny Ringo Set” including to “fast-drawing six-shooters with leather holster and 12 bullets for $2.99 in a Christmas toy ad. • The Tower Theater was showing “I Aim At the Stars, The Werner Von Braun Story.” • The Monday special at Mac’s Drive In was a bacon burger with combination [...]
• H.G. Wells’ “The Time Machine” was showing at the Varsity Drive-In. • A furnished three-bedroom apartment was listed in classifieds as renting for $45 a month. • Season tickets for Greyhound basketball were on sale. Prices for tickets to the 11 home games were $10 for adults.
• Tommy and Brooks’ Foodmarket advertised biscuits two cans for 25 cents, eggs 49 cents a dozen and sausage three pounds for $1. • Humphrey Bogart starred in “The Enforcer” at the Tower theater and “Molly” starring Gertrude Berg and Peter Hanson was showing at the Yam theater. As a bonus, the Tower was showing [...]
• Boy Scout Troop 125, sponsored by the American Legion, were preparing to travel to Roswell to participate in the Veterans Appreciation Day event. • An open house for state senator candidate Dave Turner was being held in the home of Mr. and Mrs. J.R. Schlenker. • Walt Disney’s “Son of Flubber” and “The Horse in [...]
• A special meeting of the Roosevelt County Commissioners was held to discuss issues concerning the expansion of the Melrose Bombing Range. • The local chapter of the Rainbow for Girls held officer elections for the year. • The Law and Jake Wade, starring Robert Taylor and Richard Widmark was showing at the Tower. • [...]
By Karl Terry: PNT managing editor Ten-year-old Daniel James hasn’t had an easy life but it was hard to tell Wednesday as the ruddy-faced youngster beamed to the crowd from the show ring where he was showing his first hog. Daniel was excited as his pig Donkey (after the ‘Shrek” movie character) was penned by [...]
• Rocky III and One Dark Night were the featured movies showing at the Tower Twin. • The 1939 Dora High School graduating class held their first class reunion at the Dora Community Center. • Sew & Go offered a “Little People’s Pals” doll making class.
• Graduation Day and The Fan were the featured selections showing at the Varsity Drive-in Theatre. • The Stars defeated the Aces 16-1 during a game played at Wheelers Park as part of the Senior League Softball. • Rainfall for the area was reported to be at 3.16 inches for the year. This years total [...]
By Dave Wagner, Freedom Newspapers ALBUQUERQUE — Tyler Anderson has quietly provided a significant boost for the Portales boys track team this season. The junior, who transferred from Elida in the fall after finishing second in last year’s Class 1A state 100, scored 10 points in three events on Saturday to help the Rams to [...]
By Casey Peacock: PNT Staff Writer Gates opened at 8 a.m Wednesday, as the 100th Roosevelt County Fair got under way. The fairgrounds were abuzz with activity, as exhibitors attended to last-minute details and fairgoers got an early look. In the pavilion, there was a swarm of activity as children and adults alike were preparing [...]